Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tangier in Accomack County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Albion

 
 
Fort Albion Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 7, 2016
1. Fort Albion Marker
Inscription. In April 1814, during the war of 1812, British forces commanded by Adm. Sir George Cockburn established Fort Albion on the southern tip of Tangier Island. The fort, which included barracks a hospital, a church, parade grounds, and gardens, housed hundreds of African Americans who had gained their freedom by escaping to the British. Many of them enlisted as Colonial Marines and received military training here. From this base the British launched raids up and down the Chesapeake Bay, including those on Washington D.C., and Baltimore. March 1815 they left the island and destroyed the fort. The site is now under water.
 
Erected 2014 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Q-83.)
 
Location. 37° 49.693′ N, 75° 59.535′ W. Marker is in Tangier, Virginia, in Accomack County. Marker is on Main Ridge Road near Thomas Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. It is across from Four Brothers Crab House and Ice Cream Deck. Marker is in this post office area: Tangier VA 23440, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Former Site of New Testament Congregation (a few steps from this marker); Ice Cream Stand (a few steps from this
Fort Albion Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 7, 2016
2. Fort Albion Marker
The gravel path is Thomas Road. The photographer is on Main Ridge Road looking out towards the ferry Docks.
marker); Welcome To Historic Tangier Island (a few steps from this marker); Daley's Grocery (within shouting distance of this marker); The Double Six (within shouting distance of this marker); Fisherman's Corner (within shouting distance of this marker); Chambers Lane (within shouting distance of this marker); Gladstone Memorial Health Center (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tangier.
 
Also see . . .  Tangier receives historical recognitions, 175-acre island. 2015 article in the Richmond Times-Dispatch by Tee Clarkson. “The group was there to celebrate the dedication of two historical markers on the island and the donation of a neighboring island known as The Uppards to the town of Tangier.” (Submitted on September 12, 2016.) 
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar of 1812
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2016, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 12, 2016, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement