Civil War Memorial
The Civil War Soldier statue was purchased by public donations from the Chicago Bronze Company and dedicated at a public ceremony on Decoration Day, May 30, 1890. Over 300 Civil War Veterans were joined by 4,000 citizens at the unveiling at the original courthouse located on Cass Street. Traverse City Mayor Perry Hannah delivered the keynote address.
The statue represents the 171 volunteers from the Grand Traverse Region who marched off to War and the 32 who lost their lives in that conflict. The prominent names listed on each side of the monument reflect the battlefields where the Region's soldiers fought from 1861 to 1865.
In 1893, the statue was moved to the grounds of the newly constructed District Courthouse. By 2000, the 'Old Soldier' was showing signs of deterioration. Described as 'creaking' by conservationists, the zinc metal base was bulging outwards, causing the soldier to tilt backwards on a 20 degree angle. In December 2003, Grand Traverse County Commissioners authorized Robert Finch Camp No. 14, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War to organize a fundraising and restoration committee. Support from area businesses, charities, citizens, and students and the U.S. [National] Park Service 'Save America's Treasures' generated enough funds that on December 2004, the statue was disassembled and transported to Mercene
On Memorial Day, May 30, 2005, exactly 115 years to the hour, over 1,500 citizens assembled to 'welcome home' the refurbished statue. The keynote speaker was Michigan Senator Carl Levin. Senator Levin honored the original soldiers for whom the statue was dedicated; he also addressed the need for the community and Nation to support their soldiers now waged in the war on terrorism.
[Civil War Monument]
Erected to the Heroes who fell
and the Patriots who fought for
Union and Liberty
1861 - 1865.
By the citizens of
Grand Traverse County, Mich.
May 30, 1890.
This is a Nation.
A Government of the People,
for the People, by the People.
One Country, One Flag.
United we stand, divided we fall.
No Flag but the Red, White, and Blue.
Let Us Have Peace.
Winchester • Petersburg • Williamsburg
Vicksburg • Wilderness • Hatcher's Run
Cold Harbor • Ream's
Port Hudson • Cedar Mountain • Gettysburg
Location. 44° 45.696′ N, 85° 36.967′ W. Marker is in Traverse City, Michigan, in Grand Traverse County. Marker is at the intersection of Boardman Avenue and Washington Street, on the right when traveling south on Boardman Avenue. Touch for map. Marker and monument are at the northeast corner of the county courthouse grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 328 Washington Street, Traverse City MI 49684, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. U.S.S. Sabine Parrott Rifle (here, next to this marker); Spanish-American War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); World War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Traverse County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Central United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans (approx. ¼ mile away); Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Second Industrial Revolution (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Traverse City.
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Man-Made Features • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 204 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on September 28, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.