Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Spartanburg in Spartanburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Central Methodist Church

 
 
Central Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, August 2, 2008
1. Central Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.
Organized in 1837 as the first congregation of any denomination in Spartanburg, when this site was deeded to nine trustees. Services began in early 1838. Original frame meeting house with belfry was replaced in 1854 by a larger brick church. The present Gothic Revival sanctuary, built in 1886 and described as "an ornament to our town," was enlarged in 1897 & 1910.
 
Erected 2005 by Central Methodist Church Congregation. (Marker Number 42-24.)
 
Location. 34° 57.146′ N, 81° 55.994′ W. Marker is in Spartanburg, South Carolina, in Spartanburg County. Marker is on North Church Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 233 North Church St., Spartanburg SC 29306, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Daniel Morgan Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pink Anderson / The Marshall Tucker Band (approx. 0.2 miles away); 156 West Main Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Walker / Clara Smith (approx. 0.2 miles away); Spartanburg Town Clock (approx. mile away); Palmetto Building
Central United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, August 2, 2008
2. Central United Methodist Church
From the National Register nomination form: "The exterior of Central Methodist Church today is High Victorian Gothic. The outside walls are a light yellow stucco, with beveled cast stones window slits, belt courses and matching drip moulds over pointed arched window and door openings."
(approx. mile away); Spartanburg Water Works (approx. mile away); Don Reno/The Blue Ridge Quartet (approx. mile away); Hank Garland / Johnny Blowers (approx. mile away); Walter Hyatt / DesChamps Hood (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spartanburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. Central Methodist Church. This Gothic Revival sanctuary, constructed in 1885-86 with substantive alterations in 1896-97, 1909-10, and 1930, is an excellent example of late nineteenth and early twentieth century interpretations of the Gothic Revival style and is associated with some of the most prominent architects of South Carolina and the Southeast during the period. (Submitted on August 2, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

2. Central United Methodist Church - Spartanburg, SC. Spartanburg's first church. (Submitted on March 2, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Central Methodist Church Roadside Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, August 2, 2008
3. Central Methodist Church Roadside Marker
From the National Register nomination form: "Central Methodist, the first church established in the city of Spartanburg, was founded in 1838 and known as Spartanburg, and has been closely associated with Wofford College since the college was founded in 1854; Benjamin Wofford (1780-1850), a retired Methodist minister and one-time trustee, left an endowment for the college in his will."
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 976 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement