The Historic National Road in Ohio
The inscription on the monument reads:
Old National Road Built 1825, Rebuilt 1914 Through the efforts of James M. Cox Governor of Ohio
The demand for improved roads led the federal government, under the Taft and Wilson administrations, to devise a plan to help states finance the building of experimental paved roads. The national government put up $120,000, with Licking and Muskingum counties contributing
Erected 2010 by The Ohio National Road Association, Inc.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 56.909′ N, 82° 16.119′ W. Marker is in Thornville, Ohio, in Licking County. Marker is on Old National Road (U.S. 40), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15051 National Road, Thornville OH 43076, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Eagle’s Nest (here, next to this marker); The Gilbert W. Dilley Museum at Flint Ridge (approx. 2.7 Flint Ridge (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named Flint Ridge (approx. 2.8 miles away); Fairmount Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.2 miles away); Licking Township Fallen Firemen (approx. 7.8 miles away); Beard-Green Cemetery in the Dawes Arboretum (approx. 7.9 miles away); Dawes Arboretum Hedge (approx. 8 miles away).
Additional keywords. Old National Road
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 180 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 8, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.