Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Manchester in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Manchester

 
 
Manchester Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 13, 2016
1. Manchester Marker
Inscription.
Manchester
Originally the Five Miles bought by Hartford from the Indians, 1682. First settlement, about 1673. Chartered by General Assembly as Orford Parish, 1772. Incorporated as tow pi Manchester 1823.

An early center of small industry, its mills produced powder for the American army during the Revolution, paper on which the Connecticut Courant printed the news of the battle of Lexington, and army blankets for the War of 1812.

Later the great Cheney Mills made Manchester the silk capital of the nation. Here Christopher Spencer developed the first successful magazine repeating rifle. Here was established under town auspices the second community college in Connecticut.
(back)
The site of this marker has been a civic and religious center for two centuries. Nearby stood the remodeled dwelling which served as the first church in the Five Miles. Here the Ecclesiastical Society of Orford Parish, now the Center Congregational Church, began its first church building, 1774. To the east a Methodist Church was erected, 1822. For many years town meetings were held in these churches. The second Center Church, purchased by the town, 1879, became Manchester's first town hall. Just to the south the first Episcopal Church was built, 1846. The Center Academy, an early secondary school, stood
Manchester Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 13, 2016
2. Manchester Marker
(back)
nearby.

Erected by the Manchester Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
1971

 
Erected 1971 by the Manchester Historical Society and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Location. 41° 46.533′ N, 72° 31.355′ W. Marker is in Manchester, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Street (U.S. 6) and Main Street (Route 83), on the left when traveling east on Center Street. Touch for map. Located in front of Manchester Town Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 41 Center Street, Manchester CT 06040, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Manchester Soldiers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Manchester Spanish American War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary War Soldiers of Orford Parish (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Former Site of Oddfellows Building (about 400 feet away); Manchester Vietnam Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away); Manchester World War II Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Manchester Veterans Monument
Manchester Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 13, 2016
3. Manchester Marker
(approx. 0.7 miles away); Manchester Iraq Afghanistan Veterans Monument (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manchester.
 
Also see . . .
1. Town of Manchester website. (Submitted on October 14, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Manchester, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 14, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
Manchester Town Hall image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 13, 2016
4. Manchester Town Hall
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 14, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement