Robidoux Trading Post
The trading post and its relation to the two ravines is noted in the 1850 journal of Capt. John Stansbury while traveling eastward: “Scotts Bluff – at a small rivulet, row of old deserted houses. [Also] spring at foot of the Sandstone Bluffs, where the (emigrant) road crosses the ridge.”
The ruts of the Oregon-California Trail approaching from the east are still clearly visible as they ascend toward the head of the ravine, at the foot of the bluff behind you. However, erosion has obliterated evidence of the actual crossing of the ravine.
In 1850 Robidoux’s place is described
Since the original intention of the Robidoux family was to trade with the Indians for buffalo robes, they were probably at first dismayed by the sudden invasion of their domain by a large army of covered-wagon emigrants bound for the California goldfields. However, they seem to have adjusted rapidly to this development. The traders did a land-office business with the emigrants, principally in providing blacksmith services, though there was also a brisk trade in staples and whiskey. Another bonanza for the traders was the frequent abandonment of wagons and surplus gear and supplies by overloaded emigrants, which added to the Robidoux inventory.
Despite this unexpected property, for whatever reason in later 1850 the Robidoux family abandoned their trading post here and built a new one about one mile to the southeast, over the bluffs in a place now called Carter Canyon, which was rarely visited by emigrants and probably was soon abandoned. A famous visitor to the Carter Canyon site was Father Pierre Jean DeSmet in the autumn of 1851, following the great gathering of Indian tribes at Horse Creek during the negotiations for the first Fort Laramie peace treaty. During the early 1851 Emigration season the Robidoux Pass post was reopened to trade with the emigrants. However, later that season the Robidoux family finally abandoned the pass altogether and established posts on the trail at points both east and west of Scotts Bluff, the former at the fork in the trail near present Melbeta, the latter where the two trail branches rejoin at Horse Creek, near present Lyman, Nebraska.
Erected 1994 by Oregon-California Trails Association.
Location. 41° 48.163′ N, 103° 49.641′ W. Marker is in Gering, Nebraska, in Scotts Bluff County. Marker is on Robidooux Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gering NE 69341, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robedeau Trading Post (here, next to this marker); Oregon Trail Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Robidoux Pass (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Robidoux Trading Post (approx. 2.7 miles away); Fort Mitchell, 1864-1867 (approx. 6 miles away); Oregon Trail (approx. 6.2 miles away); The Bullwhackers (approx. 6.3 miles away); Traces of the Trail (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gering.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2016, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 25, 2016, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.