Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eugene in Lane County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

The Collier House

 
 
The Collier House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 26, 2016
1. The Collier House Marker
Inscription.
Built in 1886
by
George Haskell Collier
Professor of Physics
University of Oregon
from 1879 to 1895

 
Location. 44° 2.705′ N, 123° 4.504′ W. Marker is in Eugene, Oregon, in Lane County. Marker is at the intersection of East 13th Avenue and University Street, on the right when traveling east on East 13th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1170 East 13th Avenue, Eugene OR 97403, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Patterson Home Site / Animal House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Granite Glacial Erratic (approx. 0.4 miles away); Petrified Wood (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ellis F. Lawrence (approx. one mile away); Bristow Monument (approx. 8.8 miles away); Elijah Bristow (approx. 8.8 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker is located on the campus of the University of Oregon in Eugene.
 
Also see . . .  Collier House Historic Resource Survey Form (Oregondigital.org). Dr. George Haskell Collier was a Physics professor at the University of Oregon from 1879-1895 and had bought 9.5 acres of land adjacent to the school
The Collier House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 26, 2016
2. The Collier House and Marker
The marker is mounted to the right of the front door, with the edges of it being visible just behind the right-hand pillar.
for his family’s residence. The Collier House was completed in May 1886, probably by the Collier family and based on pattern books and/or builder’s guides for the layout and style; no architect or builder is documented. Some people suggest a stylistic influence of architect Warren Haywood Williams, however, there is no documentation to verify this link. The original house had no indoor plumbing but did have a fountain. There was extensive surrounding vegetation, including an orchard. According to the Collier House Restoration Proposal, remnants of the original landscape include the false cypress, sitka spruce, big leaf maple, Japanese maple, English Holly. In addition, the memorial hedge, donated in 1925 memory of Prince Lucien Campbell, is intact. Soon after the house was completed, it began to play a central role for community gatherings, meetings and parties. In 1896, Professor Collier retired from the University and sold the house, barn and acreage to the school for $5,000. At this point, the UO President Charles Hiram Chapman moved into the upstairs with his family and the University library holdings were moved into the downstairs. From 1896-1900, the building was referred to as South Hall. In 1900, the Board of Regents voted to have it permanently house the university president and thus it became the President’s House....
(Submitted on October 29, 2016.) 
 
Categories. EducationScience & Medicine
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement