Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Peace

 
 
“Peace” by Bruce Wilder Saville image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 12, 2008
1. “Peace” by Bruce Wilder Saville
The 13 foot bronze figure by Bruce Wilder Saville is embedded in a granite base approx. 8¼ feet tall and 11 feet wide.
Inscription. Commemorating the heroic sacrifices of Ohio’s soldiers of the Civil War 1861–65 and the loyal women of that period.

When our country sent out the call to arms for the preservation of the Union Ohio sent more than three hundred thousand of her sons · · ·  They had the faith that right makes might and in that faith dared to do their duty · · ·  This memorial is erected in grateful tribute to their devotion and self-sacrifice.

Men win glory in the fierce heat of conflict but the glory of Woman is more hardly won · · ·  Upon her falls the burden of maintaining the family and the home; nursing the sick and wounded and restoring the courage of the broken. She endures the suspense of battle without its exaltation. · · ·  This memorial is erected in grateful tribute to the loyal women of 61–65 without whose help no victory—or lasting peace—could ever have been won.

“Let us have peace.”

 
Erected 1923 by the Woman’s Relief Corps – Department of Ohio.
 
Location. 39° 57.726′ N, 82° 59.955′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on Broad Street (U.S. 40) east of High Street, on the right when traveling
Peace Monument image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 12, 2008
2. Peace Monument
east. Touch for map. Monument is on the State House on Capitol Square, facing north. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43215, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 12 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Ohio Statehouse / Lincoln at the Statehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); James A. Rhodes (within shouting distance of this marker); “These Are My Jewels” (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Ohio World War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Here Stood Lincoln (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charity Newsies (about 300 feet away); The Unknown Boy Scout (about 300 feet away); The State House (about 300 feet away); The Underground Railroad / Black Conductors of Columbus (about 300 feet away); The Spirit of ’98 (about 400 feet away); William McKinley (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
More about this marker. The organization who erected this marker is The National Woman’s Relief Corps, Auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic, Inc., is a patriotic organization whose purpose is to perpetuate the memory of the Grand Army of the Republic. They are
Peace Monument, Back View image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 12, 2008
3. Peace Monument, Back View
their auxiliary organized at their request on July 25 and 26, 1883 in Denver, Colorado.
 
Categories. PeaceWar, US Civil
 
Left Tablet on Back of Monument image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 12, 2008
4. Left Tablet on Back of Monument
Right Tablet on Back of Monument image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 12, 2008
5. Right Tablet on Back of Monument
Inscription on Back of Peace Monument image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 12, 2008
6. Inscription on Back of Peace Monument
Pax image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 12, 2008
7. Pax
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,744 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 5, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement