Canton in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Farming in Canton
The Sweet Corn Capitol of Michigan
Canton's loamy soil was a natural draw
to the region's settlers. From 1825 to the 1960s farming was the main vocation in Canton. At first, self-sustaining farms provided the only food and income for a family. By the 1920s, automobiles, tractors and trucks enabled access to the Detroit markets, and Canton farms and dairies became prosperous businesses.
Erected by Motorcities National Heritage Area, National Park Service and Canton Community.
Marker series. This marker is included in the MotorCities National Heritage Area marker series.
Location. 42° 18.514′ N, 83° 32.051′ W. Marker is in Canton, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Ridge Road and Roanoke Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is on a path behind the Bartlett Travis House in Preservation Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 North Ridge Road, Canton MI 48187, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Palmer Shed (here, next to this marker); Bartlett Travis House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Historic Cady Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); Preservation Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Canton Pioneer Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cherry Hill School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cherry Hill Village (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Ford Village Industry (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canton.
Categories. • Agriculture •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 131 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 21, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Need a far view of this marker. • Can you help?