Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Paine College Founding Site
Erected 1995 by Charles A. DeVaney, Mayor and The City Council of Augusta.
Location. 33° 28.594′ N, 81° 58.193′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Broad Street (Georgia Route 28) near 10th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. LaFayette Visits Augusta (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Woodmen Of The World Memorial (about 700 feet away); Bell System at Augusta, Georgia (about 700 feet away); World War (about 700 feet American Gold Star Mothers Tribute (about 800 feet away); Fort Grierson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ware High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); 4th Infantry (Ivy) Division (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Also see . . . Paine College, Wikipedia entry. Paine was the brainchild of Bishop Lucius Henry Holsey, who first expressed the idea for the College in 1869. Bishop Holsey asked leaders in the ME Church South to help establish a school to train African American teachers and preachers so that they might in turn appropriately address the educational and spiritual needs of the people newly freed from the evils of slavery. In 1883, a Charter of Incorporation for The Paine Institute was granted, and the Trustees elected Dr. George Williams Walker as its first teacher. In January 1884, classes began in rented quarters in downtown Augusta. (Submitted on August 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,264 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.