Near Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg
Restoring Seminary Ridge
"This is without a doubt the most important preservation effort we've yet undertaken."
—Jim Lighthizer, President, Civil War Trust
In the decades after the battle, the Thompson House became a popular attraction among visitors interested in Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. In 1913, the Chambersburg Pike became part of the famed Lincoln Highway, which significantly increased automobile traffic and tourism to Gettysburg. A museum and gift shop were opened in the stone house with an adjacent campground on the property, followed by a boarding house and tourist cabins. By 1967, a large motel complex and restaurant surrounded the Thompson House.
In 2014, the Civil War Trust announced plans to purchase the entire complex and restore the site to its Civil War appearance. Restoration work began early in 2016 with archeological surveys followed by the removal of the restaurant, swimming pool, non-essential parking lots, and the motel complex. The Trust meticulously restored the 1863 landscape and Thompson house exterior. A non-historic structure atop the original Dustman barn foundation was removed. In the fall of 2016,
Erected 2016 by The Civil War Trust and Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 50.103′ N, 77° 14.694′ W. Marker is near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Chambersburg Pike (U.S. 30) west of Seminary Ridge, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (a few steps from this marker); Lee's Headquarters At Gettysburg (a few steps from this marker); Headquarters of the Army of Northern Virginia (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Lee's Headquarters At Gettysburg 95th New York Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
More about this marker. This marker is one of a group of 5 new markers placed in October, 2016 after the demolition of the Quality Inn and the Appalachian Brewing Company (restaurant) that stood here on the site. The site has been restored to very nearly its 1863 appearance.
Also see . . . Civil War Trust. (Submitted on November 23, 2016.)
Categories. • Education • Man-Made Features • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2016, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 250 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 22, 2016, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on February 23, 2017, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. 5. submitted on November 22, 2016, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.