Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Graham County Arizona Historical Markers

 
First home of Eastern Arizona College Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, February 25, 2010
First home of Eastern Arizona College Marker
Arizona (Graham County), Central — First Home of Eastern Arizona College
First home of the present Eastern Arizona College was Central's red-brick churchhouse located just north of this marker. Founded December 1890 The many-named school moved the next year to Thatcher. — Map (db m28054) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Fort Thomas — Geronimo
Named for the rebellious medicine man who led the Chiricahua Apaches on their last raids, to surrender, and then into exile in Florida and Oklahoma. Their descendants lived in Eastern Arizona again. This was also the site of original Camp Thomas, . . . — Map (db m28050) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Fort Thomas — Melvin Jones International Memorial
Melvin Jones was born on January 13, 1879, near this site in Fort Thomas. He lived here for the first eight years of his life, during the Indian Wars here. In 1917, Melvin Jones formed Lions Clubs International with 20 delegates representing 27 . . . — Map (db m28051) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Safford — Arizona Bank & Trust Company — 1921
A well-known Tucson architect, H. O. Jaastad, designed this imposing neo-classical revival structure in 1920. Snell & Harvey of Phoenix erected the building for around $50,000. The concrete foundation is capped by brick construction. Two terra cotta . . . — Map (db m61511) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Safford — Army of the West
. . . — Map (db m81868) HM
Arizona (Graham county), Safford — Graham County Courthouse — 1916
Since Graham County's formation in 1881 the courthouse had been relocated four times. It had been housed in an adobe structure in Safford, two sites in Solomonville, and the Rig's Building on Main Street when the county seat was returned to Safford. . . . — Map (db m36370) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Safford — Horatio Harris Merrill / Eliza Ann Merrill
In Memory Of Horatio Harris Merrill Born January 3, 1837 And his daughter Eliza Ann Merrill Born July 27, 1881 Who, while traveling by team and wagon from Pima, Arizona to Clifton, Arizona, were . . . — Map (db m36243) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Safford — In Memory of Lorenzo and Seth Wright
In Memory of two of the many pioneers who brought law, order and safety to the Gila Valley. Lorenzo and Seth Wright were killed 1 mile north of this spot by Indians who had stolen 45 horses from early settlers. While . . . — Map (db m28170) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Safford — Mormon Pioneers' Arrival in Salt Lake Valley - Sesquicentennial Plaque — July 24, 1997
This monument commemorates the sesquicentennial celebration (1847 – 1997) of the Mormon pioneers' arrival into the Salt Lake Valley. The following groups are recognized for their contribution to the settlement of this Gila Valley. Native . . . — Map (db m61509) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Safford — Safford City Hall — 1898
Safford City Hall started life as a school building. Safford School System bids for the North Ward School were opened in February 1898. The contract was awarded to R. A. Smith Jr. and John Morris. The new building was ready for the fall term in . . . — Map (db m36369) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Safford — The Gila Valley
The Route of: Coronado in search of the Fabled Seven Cities of Cibola. 1540 ———— James O. Pattie and other famous trappers along the Gila River. 1825-26 ———— Gen. Stephen W. Kearny and . . . — Map (db m48612) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Safford — Womans Club of Safford — Dedicated - 1937
National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m61512) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Solomon — Gila Valley Bank
Gila Valley Bank, forerunner of the Valley National Bank of Arizona, was formally organized on this site December 15, 1899, opening January 16, 1900. The bank was originally housed in the northeast corner of the I. E. Solomon Commercial Company . . . — Map (db m28060) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Solomon — Solomon — (Solomonville) — County Seat of Graham County 1883 – 1915
Named for Isadore Elkan Solomon, a pioneer settler, who in 1876 burned charcoal here for supplying fuel to the Lesinsky Brothers' Copper Smelter near Clifton. First Treasurer of Graham County. Early day merchant, postmaster, and one of the founders . . . — Map (db m28059) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Thatcher — Spencer W. Kimball Childhood Home
When Andrew Kimball was called to preside over the St. Joseph Stake in 1898, Church members provided ten acres on which he built this adobe and brick home in 1902. He helped make the 12,000 adobes. His son, Spencer W. Kimball, 12th President of the . . . — Map (db m61510) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.