St. Peterís is one of Nova Scotiaís oldest settlements. The Portuguese were likely here in the 1500s, calling it San Pedro.
In 1650, the French established a post nearby under the name of Saint-Pierre, where they traded with the . . . — — Map (db m78728) HM
The community of St. Peterís is situated on the neck of land that separates the Bras díOr Lake from the Atlantic Ocean. Up until the introduction of road and rail travel, the lake was the highway of the interior of Cape Breton and . . . — — Map (db m78729) HM
There are two plaques on this monument
St. Peterís Canal / Le Canal Saint-Pierre
Connecting St. Peterís Bay on the Atlantic Ocean with the Bras díOr Lakes, St. Peterís Canal follows substantially the portage of the . . . — — Map (db m78726) HM
Nicolas Denys, a merchant from Tours, France, arrived here in 1650 to restore an abandoned Portuguese fort called San Pedro. He renamed it Saint-Pierre, and set out to pursue fishing and trading - primarily in furs. Fort . . . — — Map (db m78727) HM