The cross road here roughgly divides the Confederate and Union lines in the battle of JUne 9, 1862. Jackson attacked Shields, coming southward to join Fremont, but was repulsed. Reinforced by Ewell, Jackson attacked again and drove Shields from the . . . — — Map (db m2932) HM
Port Republic Battlefield Civil War Site—Trail Stop 4. Struggle for the “Coaling”
Federal commander Tyler placed at least 3 artillery pieces on this high part of the “Coaling,” and lined 3 more guns down . . . — — Map (db m2926) HM
Port Republic Battlefield Civil War Site—Trail Stop 1. Last Battle of Jackson’s 1862 Valley Campaign.
You are standing on the “Coaling.” By the Civil War this area was nearly devoid of trees, the timber having been . . . — — Map (db m2929) HM
Here, June 9, 1862
Gen. T. J. "Stonewall Jackson"
defeated Gen. J. Shield’s vanguard
advancing from Elkton under Gen. R. O. Tyler
Federals engaged, 4500
killed, wounded, and missing, 551, captured, 450
Confederates engaged, 6000 . . . — — Map (db m14346) HM
General Stonewall Jackson, with 6,000
Confederates, attacked James Shields'
vanguard of 3,000 under E.B. Tyler, which
had marched down Luray Valley to join
General J.C. Frémont's army. Jackson's
first attack by General C.S. Winder's
brigade, . . . — — Map (db m14354) HM
The crest of the hill was the site of Madison Hall, built in the mid-1700s for John Madison, the first Court Clerk of Augusta County, which originally included this area of Rockingham County within its frontier boundaries. In response to the . . . — — Map (db m14083) HM
The road seen across the river was the original route into the village from the north and west. Early visitors crossed North River by means of a ford, later a ferry, and finally a bridge. After the Civil War, four more bridges were built on . . . — — Map (db m15792) HM
Parallel to South River is seen the bed of the lower millrace which brought water power to several village industries. The Galliday Tannery was located on the far left; the Dundore/Downs Tannery on the adjoining property on the right. The Robert . . . — — Map (db m14080) HM
When Virginia Governor Alexander Spotswood’s 1716 expedition first laid claim to the Shenandoah Valley, the area had already been used for centuries by Native Americans. The town of port Republic was laid off into lots and chartered by an 1802 act . . . — — Map (db m16634) HM