Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Related Historical Markers

The Philippi Races by markers.
 
Area Civil War Sites image, Touch for more information
By Craig Swain, July 24, 2010
Area Civil War Sites
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — Philippi The Commands The First Campaign —
Col. Benjamin F. Kelley Kelley, a railroad agent in Philadelphia and former resident of Wheeling, was called back to command the First Virginia (Union) Infantry - the first Union regiment raised in the South. He planned and led the attack on . . . — Map (db m33760) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — The Philippi Covered Bridge Philippi, WV Scene of the First Land Battle of the Civil War —
Constructed in 1852 by Lemuel Chenoweth; masonry by Emanuel J. O'Brien, cost $12,151.24. The covered bridge, erected in 1852, is the only two-lane bridge in the federal highway system. During the Civil War the bridge served both North and South in . . . — Map (db m33762) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — Philippi The Confederate Retreat The First Campaign —
Col. George A. Porterfield moved his newly recruited Confederates from Grafton on May 28, 1861, after receiving word of a Federal advance on the B&O Railroad. Porterfield's force a Philippi totaled no more than 775 volunteers. Few were fully trained . . . — Map (db m33672) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — The Covered Bridge
The Philippi Covered Bridge across Tygart Valley River was built in 1852 by Lemuel Chenoweth of Beverly. Made of wood, with the exception of the iron bolts used to hold the segments together, it is an example of the best in covered bridge . . . — Map (db m33665) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — First Land Battle
First land battle between the North and South here, June 3, 1861. Confederates under Col. Porterfield were dislodged by Federal troops from Gen. McClellan's army under Col. Kelley. The old covered bridge here was used by both armies. — Map (db m33777) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — Philippi The Federal Attack The First Campaign —
On June 2, 1861, Federal troops advanced on Philippi from the Baltimore & Ohio rail hub at Grafton in two columns of about 1500 men each. The left column, under Col. Benjamin Kelley, took the train six miles east to Thornton, and then marched south . . . — Map (db m33816) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement