Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Elba, Alabama Historical Markers

 
City of Elba Marker image, Touch for more information
By David J Gaines, March 31, 2012
City of Elba Marker
Alabama (Coffee County), Elba — City of Elba
Elba began circa 1840. A ferry had been started across Pea River, thus beginning the town’s first name, Bridgeville. In 1850, the town’s name was changed to Bentonville in honor of a Missourian who had distinguished himself in service to Alabama in . . . — Map (db m54201) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Elba — First United Methodist ChurchEarliest Church in Elba
A congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South existed in Elba even before Rev. Robert Shaw Rabb was assigned as the first minister to the Elba Circuit on December 15, 1853. This site was purchased in 1909 and the Church officially opened . . . — Map (db m83274) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Elba — Folsom Birthplace
James Elisha (Big Jim) Folsom, a resident of Elba, Coffee County, served as the 45th and 47th Governor of Alabama. Folsom lived in this home from 1908 to 1910 when it was located near the Folsom Mill Creek and Tabernacle communities. The Folsom . . . — Map (db m94160) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Elba — Folsom Estate
Estate of Joshua Marion Folsom and wife Eulala Dunnavant Folsom Birth Place James Elisha Folsom October 9, 1908 46th Governor of Alabama January 1947 — 1951 48th Governor of Alabama . . . — Map (db m94161) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Elba — Historic Court Square
The first Coffee County Courthouse was at Wellborn and burned in 1851. This site given by John B. Simmons when Elba was selected the county seat polling 58 more votes than Indigo Head (Clintonville) in a county election on October 5, 1852. The first . . . — Map (db m54804) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Elba — Site of Curtis SchoolEarly 1900’s to 1967
Curtis School was organized in the early 1900’s and was originally located ½ mile south, where New Ebenezer Baptist Church now stands. A new school was built on this site in 1929 when Curtis, Mt. Zion, and Rhodes Schools were consolidated. . . . — Map (db m54741) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Elba — Wellborn
The first seat of justice for Coffee County was located approximately 500 yards southeast of this site. The community was named for Gen. William Wellborn, an Alabama commander during the Creek Indian War of 1836-37. Under the Act of December . . . — Map (db m95355) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement