This beautiful Beaux Arts Building was designed by Carl Ingomar Warnecke of the architectural firm Miller and Warnecke in 1921. The Bay Area firm designed residential work, apartment buildings, schools, commercial and civic structures.
Mr. . . . — — Map (db m99576) HM
Prior to the mid-1800s a vast forest of gigantic redwoods existed in this area The trees towered to heights of over 350 feet and measured from 12 to 14 feet in diameter The density of their foliage was so great that . . . — — Map (db m107151) HM
This was the terminus of the "Fulton-Guerneville" branch of the Northwestern Pacific Railway which began operations on May, 29, 1872.
The purpose of the railway was to replace the slow oxen team method of hauling timber and passengers to San . . . — — Map (db m102507) HM
James B. Armstrong
Colonel James B. Armstrong came to California from Ohio in 1874 as a land investor. He purchased land in these forests, eventually developing a deep appreciation for the redwoods. Witnessing the alarming rate of . . . — — Map (db m107311) HM