After U.S. Grant had planned much of his campaign at Mrs. Bagnell’s, four miles west, he arrived at Rocky Springs on May 7. He remained until May 10, allowing the XV Corps to cross the Mississippi and rejoin the army. McClernand’s XIII Corps arrived . . . — — Map (db m87358) HM
The once active spring provided a natural stopping place for travelers on the Natchez Trace and helped establish and sustain the rural community of Rocky Springs. The 25 square mile town, which included a post rider relay station prospered for . . . — — Map (db m97265) HM
This is the Natchez Trace. For many years it served man well, but as with many things when its usefulness passed, it was abandoned.
Over the years, this time-worn path has been a silent witness to honor and dishonor. It bears the prints of . . . — — Map (db m87357) HM
At the end of this trail is evidence of a once thriving rural community. First settled in the late 1790's, the town grew from a watering place along the Natchez Trace, and took its name from the source of that water -- the Rocky Spring. In 1860, a . . . — — Map (db m80147) HM