Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Mattaponi, Virginia Historical Markers

 
The Trail (facing south) image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, December 6, 2009
The Trail (facing south)
Virginia (King and Queen County), Mattaponi — OB-18 — Colonial Church
This church, the new church of Stratton Major Parish, was built in 1767. Rev. William Robinson, the Bishop of London's commissary, came to the parish in 1744 and was the first minister of the new church. It fell into disuse after the Revolution but . . . — Map (db m25264) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Mattaponi — OB-12 — Corbin's ChurchThe New Church
The New Church, also known as Corbin's Church, stood to the east of this road. Councillor Richard Corbin, who also served as Receiver-General of the colony, donated "Goliath's Old Field" for the church, which was completed in 1768 to replace two . . . — Map (db m25262) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Mattaponi — OB-16 — Laneville
A mile and a half southwest stood Laneville, built by Richard Corbin, receiver general (treasurer) about 1760 on the site of an earlier house. There Patrick Henry sent, May 1775, to obtain money in payment for the colony's powder seized by Lord . . . — Map (db m25263) HM

3 markers matched your search criteria.  
  
  
 
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.