Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Mattaponi in King and Queen County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Corbin's Church

The New Church

 
 
Corbin's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, December 6, 2009
1. Corbin's Church Marker
Inscription.  The New Church, also known as Corbin's Church, stood to the east of this road. Councillor Richard Corbin, who also served as Receiver-General of the colony, donated "Goliath's Old Field" for the church, which was completed in 1768 to replace two older Anglican churches in Stratton Major Parish. The New Church measured 50 by 80 feet and was 27 feet high with galleries. According to the parish vestry book, 275 persons were initially assigned pews in the church.
 
Erected 1989 by Department of Conservation and Historic Resources. (Marker Number OB-12.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1768.
 
Location. 37° 33.76′ N, 76° 44.814′ W. Marker is near Mattaponi, Virginia, in King and Queen County. Marker is on The Trail (Virginia Route 14) 0.1 miles south of Wolf Pond Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mattaponi VA 23110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Laneville (approx. 1.8 miles away); King William County / King and Queen County (approx. 3.1 miles away); Indian Treaty of 1646 (approx. 3.1 miles away); Indians Poisoned At Peace Meeting (approx. 3.1 miles away); Colonial Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away); A Salute To Veterans (approx. 3.3 miles away); Lt. Gen. Lewis Burwell “Chesty” Puller (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mattaponi.
 
The Trail (facing north) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, December 6, 2009
2. The Trail (facing north)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 8, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,273 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 8, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25262

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024