Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Pikesville, Maryland Historical Markers

 
Sudbrook home image, Touch for more information
By William Pfingsten, September 3, 2007
Sudbrook home
Maryland (Baltimore County), Pikesville — Sudbrook Park
Early romantic suburb designed in 1889 by Frederick Law Olmsted, Sr., father of landscape architecture in America. On 204 acres of James Howard McHenry’s “Sudbrook” estate. Olmsted designed a naturalistic landscape with curvilinear roads . . . — Map (db m2266) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Pikesville — The Garrison Fort
Built about 1695 as headquarters for a troop of mounted rangers to patrol paths from the Patapsco to the Susquehanna as a protection against hostile Indians. It was nine miles from nearest white inhabitants when built. — Map (db m2265) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Pikesville — The Old Court Road
Originally an Indian trail, then used by the Rangers from the Garrison Fort to keep back the Indians. Later used as a road to the Court at Joppa Town, the County Seat of Baltimore County from 1712 to 1768 and the rival of Baltimore. — Map (db m2270) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Pikesville — The Old United States Arsenal
Built in 1816 after the close of the War of 1812 as an arsenal. Removed to a point of safety beyond Baltimore. Used during the War between the States and later as a Confederate Home. Now the property of the State of Maryland (1935). — Map (db m2322) HM

4 markers matched your search criteria.  
  
 
Paid Advertisement