Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pikesville in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
MISSING
SEE LOCATION SECTION
 

The Garrison Fort

 
 
The Garrison Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, September 3, 2007
1. The Garrison Fort Marker
Inscription.  Built about 1695 as headquarters for a troop of mounted rangers to patrol paths from the Patapsco to the Susquehanna as a protection against hostile Indians. It was nine miles from nearest white inhabitants when built.
 
Erected 1968 by Maryland Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraForts and CastlesNative Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1695.
 
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 39° 23.947′ N, 76° 42.454′ W. Marker was in Pikesville, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker was on Garrison Farm Court, 0.1 miles Garrison Farms Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Pikesville MD 21208, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. History of The Greenspring Quarry (approx. 1.4 miles away); Quarry Lake at Greenspring (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Old Court Road (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Old United States Arsenal
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 1.9 miles away); Trentham (approx. 2.2 miles away); Rockland (approx. 2.2 miles away); Trentham Mansion (approx. 2.2 miles away); Sudbrook Park (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pikesville.
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced one erected by the Maryland State Roads Commission in 1934.
 
Also see . . .  Oldton’s Company of Baltimore Rangers. This is the site of some reenactors that portray the rangers that lived in this building in the later 17th century. From here they patrolled, widened and marked the indian trails from Gwynn’s Falls in Baltimore County to just north of Deer Creek in what is now Harford County. (Submitted on October 10, 2007, by John Machate of Columbia, Maryland.) 
 
Additional commentary.
1. Marker removed!
The Maryland Historical Trust has removed this marker due to a single complaint over the wording "hostile Indians". The text was originally developed in 1934. It was removed while the wording and building history are
Fort Garrison and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, September 3, 2007
2. Fort Garrison and Marker
under review. We may see more markers being removed as we brush aside the idea of preserving historical significance, even in the sense that it represents a period of time in which these sentiments were more widely accepted.
    — Submitted May 2, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
 
Another Fort Garrison Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, September 3, 2007
3. Another Fort Garrison Marker
Fort Garrison, built 1693. Marked by Fort Garrison Chapter, Colonial Dames XVII Century, 1973.
Rear of Fort Garrison image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, September 3, 2007
4. Rear of Fort Garrison
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,622 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 3, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2265

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024