Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Westpoint, Indiana Historical Markers

 
Wide View - - Farmers Institute Academy Marker image, Touch for more information
By Courtesy:: Carly C. Kindig, August 22, 2010
Wide View - - Farmers Institute Academy Marker
Indiana (Tippecanoe County), Westpoint — Farmers Institute Academy
Opened in 1851, this was the first school of higher learning in rural Tippecanoe County, built by Society of Friends (Quakers) of this neighborhood. Enrollment included local, non-local and youth of other states. Primary through college preparatory . . . — Map (db m34909) HM
Indiana (Tippecanoe County), Westpoint — GranvilleWabash and Erie Canal Town
Founded in 1834 by Thomas W. Treckett and Thomas Concannon, with later additions in 1836. Granville boasted 153 lots and a public square. In 1850 its name was changed to Weaton, after the Wea Indian town which once stood to the east. Later the name . . . — Map (db m34827) HM
Indiana (Tippecanoe County), Westpoint — The Wea Plains
Granville cemetery was once part of the great Wea Plains and still contains many species of the original prairie vegetation. This is one of the last remnants of the Indiana prairies that covered much of Tippecanoe County. It is preserved and managed . . . — Map (db m34903) HM
Indiana (Tippecanoe County), Westpoint — Underground Railroad
Site of station of Underground Railway used by Quakers during pre-Civil War days in smuggling slaves to Canada. Leader of the enterprise was Buddell Sleeper. — Map (db m34871) HM

4 markers matched your search criteria.  
  
 
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.