On Central Road east of U.S. 70, on the left when traveling east.
First home of the present Eastern Arizona College was Central's red-brick churchhouse located just north of this marker. Founded December 1890 The many-named school moved the next year to Thatcher. — — Map (db m28054) HM
On U.S. 70 at milepost 302, on the left when traveling east.
Named for the rebellious medicine man who led the Chiricahua Apaches on their last raids, to surrender, and then into exile in Florida and Oklahoma. Their descendants lived in Eastern Arizona again. This was also the site of original Camp Thomas, . . . — — Map (db m28050) HM
On U.S. 70 at milepost 306, on the left when traveling east.
Melvin Jones was born on January 13, 1879, near this site in Fort Thomas. He lived here for the first eight years of his life, during the Indian Wars here. In 1917, Melvin Jones formed Lions Clubs International with 20 delegates representing 27 . . . — — Map (db m28051) HM
On West Main Street at South 5th Avenue, on the right when traveling east on West Main Street.
A well-known Tucson architect, H. O. Jaastad, designed this imposing neo-classical revival structure in 1920. Snell & Harvey of Phoenix erected the building for around $50,000. The concrete foundation is capped by brick construction. Two terra cotta . . . — — Map (db m61511) HM
On South 8th Avenue south of U.S. 70, on the right when traveling south.
Since Graham County's formation in 1881 the courthouse had been relocated four times. It had been housed in an adobe structure in Safford, two sites in Solomonville, and the Rig's Building on Main Street when the county seat was returned to Safford. . . . — — Map (db m36370) HM
On U.S. 70 at milepost 364.7, on the left when traveling east.
In Memory Of
Horatio Harris Merrill
Born January 3, 1837
And his daughter
Eliza Ann Merrill
Born July 27, 1881
Who, while traveling by team and wagon from Pima, Arizona to Clifton, Arizona, were . . . — — Map (db m36243) HM
On U.S. 70 at milepost 356, 16 miles east of Town of Safford, on the left when traveling east.
In Memory of two of the
many pioneers who brought
law, order and safety to
the Gila Valley.
Lorenzo and Seth Wright
were killed 1 mile north of
this spot by Indians who
had stolen 45 horses from
While . . . — — Map (db m28170) HM
On West Thatcher Boulevard, on the right when traveling east.
This monument commemorates the sesquicentennial celebration (1847 – 1997) of the Mormon pioneers' arrival into the Salt Lake Valley. The following groups are recognized for their contribution to the settlement of this Gila Valley. Native . . . — — Map (db m61509) HM
On West Main Street, on the left when traveling west.
Safford City Hall started life as a school building. Safford School System bids for the North Ward School were opened in February 1898. The contract was awarded to R. A. Smith Jr. and John Morris. The new building was ready for the fall term in . . . — — Map (db m36369) HM
On U.S. 70 at milepost 341, on the right when traveling east. Reported missing.
The Route of:
Coronado in search of the Fabled Seven Cities of Cibola. 1540
James O. Pattie and other famous trappers along the Gila River.
Gen. Stephen W. Kearny and . . . — — Map (db m48612) HM
On South Bowie Avenue near Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
Gila Valley Bank, forerunner of the Valley National Bank of Arizona, was formally organized on this site December 15, 1899, opening January 16, 1900. The bank was originally housed in the northeast corner of the I. E. Solomon Commercial Company . . . — — Map (db m28060) HM
On U.S. 70 at milepost 344 near East Sanchez Road/South Bowie Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
Named for Isadore Elkan Solomon, a pioneer settler, who in 1876 burned charcoal here for supplying fuel to the Lesinsky Brothers' Copper Smelter near Clifton. First Treasurer of Graham County. Early day merchant, postmaster, and one of the founders . . . — — Map (db m28059) HM
On West Church Street, on the right when traveling east.
When Andrew Kimball was called to preside over the St. Joseph Stake in 1898, Church members provided ten acres on which he built this adobe and brick home in 1902. He helped make the 12,000 adobes. His son, Spencer W. Kimball, 12th President of the . . . — — Map (db m61510) HM