On Main Street (State Highway 89), on the right when traveling south.
Just north of town are remnants of the Cherry Coal Mine, where 259 miners lost their lives in one of the worst mine disasters in United States history.
The St. Paul Coal Company began mining coal at Cherry in 1905 and by 1909 was mining 300,000 . . . — — Map (db m36734) HM
On East Peru Street (U.S. 6), on the right when traveling west.
This two-story frame structure was the home of abolitionist Owen Lovejoy, who was born in Maine in 1811. Lovejoy moved into the house in 1838, when he became a Congregationalist minister. He was leader in the formation of the Republican Party in . . . — — Map (db m44351) HM
On Princeton Street (U.S. 6) near East Street, on the right when traveling west.
In memory of Bureau County Pioneers. Sunk the first third Vein Coal mine in Hall Township in 1879. Sold in 1888 to C.W. & V. Coal Co. Mine closed in 1913. The town of Seatonville located on land owned by Seaton Brothers was named for them. This . . . — — Map (db m44350) HM
First permanent white settlers in Bureau County
May 4, 1828
First farmer, having plowed first furrow
June 10, 1828
Parents of first while child born within county
Jan. 15, 1830
First postmaster of Bureau County
The . . . — — Map (db m44826) HM
On Hennepin Canal Parkway Trail (U.S. 6), on the left when traveling west.
Anatomy of a Canal: Canals like the Hennepin are manmade waterways for boats to travel on. Many canals are built to make shortcuts between two existing bodies of water. The Hennepin Canal was built to carry cargo barges . . . — — Map (db m44828) HM