Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Polk County Wisconsin Historical Markers

 
Historic Bounty Land Memorial image, Touch for more information
By Paul Fehrenbach, May 24, 2018
Historic Bounty Land Memorial
Wisconsin (Polk County), Clear Lake — Bounty Land Warrant
Near 25th Avenue at 5th Street, on the right when traveling east.
On the night of September 13-14, 1814, an artillery soldier named Francis Scott Key watched as the British attacked Fort McHenry. With bombs bursting mid-air, and in dawn’s early light, the American flag remained. Key was so inspired by the sight, . . . — Map (db m117934) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Luck — 173 — Danish Dairy Cooperative
On State Highway 35 0.4 miles south of 1st Avenue (State Highway 48), on the right when traveling south.
On March 28, 1885 one of Wisconsin's first incorporated creameries was organized as the Luck Creamery Company. The "Organization Artikler" were published in Danish in the Polk County Press on November 18, 1885, and printed in English about a month . . . — Map (db m14576) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Luck — 94 — First Danish Seminary
On 170th Street 0.2 miles south of County Route N, on the right when traveling north.
On February 13, 1887, the Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church in America established its first seminary on this site with Pastor Thorvald Helveg as President, assisted by Pastor Jens Pederson and a layman, J.P. Petersen. In 1888 Pastor P.S. Vig . . . — Map (db m68703) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Osceola — Cascade Falls
On North Cascade Street (State Highway 35) north of Osceola Road (State Highway 243), on the left when traveling north.
On May 14, 1884, William Kent and 12 companions stopped on their journey from St. Croix Falls to explore a creek that rippled through the glen and emptied into the St. Croix River. A beautiful 25-foot waterfall burst upon their vision and they . . . — Map (db m17546) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Osceola — Geiger Brewery
Near Osceola Road (State Highway 243) west of Cascade Street (State Highway 35), on the left when traveling west.
From 1867 to 1878 master brewer Veit Geiger operated the Geiger Brewery at this location. The artesian springs assured an abundant source of pure water, and the nearby caves provided a constant 50-degree storage cellar. The brewery, was just one of . . . — Map (db m17699) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Osceola — Osceola
On North Cascade Street (State Highway 35) north of Osceola Road (State Highway 243), on the left when traveling north.
First settled by William Kent in 1844 when he came looking for lumber for ship masts. Built a lumber mill powered by Osceola Creek. Other industries followed along with a flour mill in 1852. First called Leroy in honor of Leroy Hubbard the first . . . — Map (db m17551) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Osceola — Osceola "Soo" Depot
On Depot Street 0.2 miles west of South Cascade Street (Wisconsin Highway 35), on the right when traveling west.
This depot was built in 1916 replacing a smaller wooden structure that was destroyed when two engines collided in front of it. Constructed of red, wire cut brick with white sandstone trim, the depot was very modern for its time, boasting both a . . . — Map (db m17591) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Osceola — Osceola Bluff
On Depot Road 0.2 miles west of South Cascade Street (Wisconsin Highway 35), on the right when traveling west.
For thousands of years, this limestone bluff has been an area landmark. Chippewa Indians camped here along the "ginseng trail" that stretched from Balsam Lake in Polk County to New Richmond in St. Croix County. Overlooking the St. Croix National . . . — Map (db m17667) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Osceola — The Mills
Near North Cascade Street (State Highway 35) north of Osceola Road (State Highway 243), on the left when traveling north.
By 1845, the first sawmill was erected in Osceola. It stood two stories high and was capable of cutting 10,000 board feet every 24 hours. Approximately 35 million board feet were cut during its existence. It was located on Osceola Creek near the . . . — Map (db m17554) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Saint Croix Falls — 504 — Gaylord Nelson
Near East Massachusetts Street west of North Washington Street (Wisconsin Highway 87), on the left when traveling west.
Gaylord Anton Nelson (1916–2005), known worldwide as the founder of Earth Day, was the son of a country doctor and a nurse. Born the third of four children on June 4, 1916, at Clear Lake, Wisconsin, 28 miles from here, Nelson canoed the . . . — Map (db m14796) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Saint Croix Falls — Interstate Park Centennial
Near South Vincent Street (State Highway 35) 0.2 miles south of East McKenny Street, on the right when traveling south.
On September 20, 1900, through the dedicated efforts of local citizens, the State of Wisconsin acquired land here along the Dalles of the St. Croix River, officially establishing Interstate Park as Wisconsin's oldest state park. The year 2000 marks . . . — Map (db m28687) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Saint Croix Falls — River Spirit2007 Bronze Sculpture by Julie Ann Stage — Number 1 of 11 —
Near North Washington Street (State Highway 87) north of River Street, on the left when traveling north.
The city of St. Croix Falls commissioned local sculptor, Julie Ann Stage, to create a monument in bronze which would embody the poetry and natural beauty of the St. Croix River Valley. River Spirit, unveiled on July 29th of 2007, is a focal . . . — Map (db m18115) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Saint Croix Falls — St. Croix Falls Lions Park
Near State Highway 87 0.2 miles north of Wisconsin Street, on the left when traveling north.
Lions Park marks the site of an historic battle between the Chippewa Indians and their traditional enemies, the Fox and Sioux. Circa 1770, the two war parties met on the portage area below in a fierce fight that raged among the crags and crevices of . . . — Map (db m18113) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Saint Croix Falls — 132 — The Battle of St. Croix Falls
On State Highway 87 0.2 miles north of Wisconsin Street, on the left when traveling north.
Here at the head of St. Croix Falls in about 1770, a war party of Chippewas led by Chief Wau-bo-jeeg prepared for battle against their traditional enemies, the Fox and Sioux. The two parties met on the portage below this point in a fierce and . . . — Map (db m14421) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Saint Croix Falls — Thompson–Boughton Mill1878 – 1914
Near North Washington Street (State Highway 87) north of River Street, on the left when traveling north.
This millstone is the last remnant of the flour mill that operated on the river bank a half-mile to the south. Power was provided by the stream that now tumbles down a rocky slope on the north boundary of the Wisconsin Interstate Park. Pieces . . . — Map (db m18171) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Saint Croix Falls — 453 — Where Are The Falls of the St. Croix?
Near North Washington Street (State Highway 87) north of River Street, on the left when traveling north.
The Falls of the St. Croix River, a series of turbulent cascades that dropped 55 feet in less than six miles, were impounded in the early 1900s by this hydroelectric dam. The potential manufacturing power of the falls drew developers who settled . . . — Map (db m14223) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Saint Croix Falls — Where are the Falls?
A series of rapids once cascaded 55 feet over six miles down this section of river. Canoes had to be portaged and boats could not travel upriver. The largest "falls" tumbled 20 feet over 100 yards. They provided a natural source of power for . . . — Map (db m78664) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), St. Croix Falls — 143 — State Park Movement in WisconsinInterstate Park
On Park Road 0.5 miles west of Wisconsin Highway 35, on the left when traveling west.
In 1878 the Legislature set aside 50,000 acres of “Public Trust Fund Lands” as a “State Park.” These were scattered timbered lands located in Lincoln, Iron, Vilas and Oneida Counties. Because no effort was made to develop . . . — Map (db m74352) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement