Marker Submission Guidelines and Suggestions
1. Take close-up photo of marker. Make sure the text is readable. Is it well lit? Try not to cut off the edges. Avoid night photos with flash; come back another day if it is too dark.
2. Take a wide shot of the marker and its surroundings.
3. Write down the markerís location: road or street name, nearest town, nearest crossroad, what side of the road is it on, etc.
3b. Got a GPS device? Mark a waypoint, or write down the latitude and longitude of the markerís location.
3c. Or wait until later and look up the latitude and longitude for the marker. Click here for more about latitude and longitude.
3d. Or, if your camera or cellphone embeds location information in the photo, our website will automatically use it for latitude and longitude. Click here for more about latitude and longitude.
4. If possible, take one or more photos of the subject described by the marker.
5. Before submitting your marker, make sure it is not already in the database.
5b. If it is not already in the database, click on Add-A-Marker and get started!
5c. If it is, go to the markerís page and add better photos, make corrections, or add to the information there by adding comments.
Youíll be able to see the page for the marker youíve submitted immediately, and photos, links; and comments youíve added will be visible to you right away. But it will not be published for all to see until the editor has reviewed it. This could take a day or longer, depending on the backlog.
Most importantly, enjoy yourself. Enjoy the outdoors. Enjoy history!