Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Battle of Columbus
General James H. Wilson's Union
Cavalry swept across Alabama as boys
and old men tried to defend Columbus.
Cannon from the C.S.S. Chattahoochee,
similar to nearby replicas, were mounted
here to protect the line. On the
night of April 16, 1865, Columbus
fell in what would be the last
significant battle of the war. The
next day, Union troops burned the
city's cotton warehouses and
industries but spared the grist mills.
Location. 32° 27.405′ N, 84° 59.708′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker can be reached from Front Avenue near West 6th Street. Touch for map. Located between the railroad tracks and the Chattahoochee Riverwalk (below). Marker is at or near this postal address: Front Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Supply (here, next to this marker); Confederate Boats (here, next to this marker); Frontier Wars (a few steps from this marker); Horace King (1807 - 1887) (within shouting Thomas Greene Bethune (within shouting distance of this marker); Gertrude "Ma" Rainey (within shouting distance of this marker); Soft Drinks (within shouting distance of this marker); Mass - Produced Ice Machines (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the Battle of Columbus (1865). (Submitted on February 20, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 228 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 20, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.