Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Young’s Mill

 
 
Young’s Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. Young’s Mill Marker
Inscription. Since early colonial days Deep Creek has had a dam and pond here with a mill, owned by the Matthews, Digges and Young families, grinding corn well into the 20th century. In the Peninsula Campaign, Federal forces of Gen. McClellan encountered strong Confederate works nearby, the right flank of Gen. Magruder’s first line of defense. The works were abandoned April 5, 1862, for a resolute stand 6 miles farther north at Lee’s Mill.
 
Erected 1967 by Newport News Historical Committee.
 
Location. 37° 6.369′ N, 76° 30.84′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Old Grist Mill Lane and Warwick Blvd (U.S. 60), on the right when traveling west on Old Grist Mill Lane. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13055 Warwick Blvd., Newport News VA 23602, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Young’s Mill (here, next to this marker); Mathews Mill (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Young’s Mill (a few steps from this marker); First Peninsula Defense Line (within shouting distance of
Markers at Young’s Mill image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Markers at Young’s Mill
There are several markers located here at the site of Young’s Mill.
this marker); Providence Mennonite Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Denbigh Parish (approx. Ľ mile away); Two USCT Heroes (approx. 1.1 miles away); Warwick County Confederate Monument (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
 
Also see . . .  The Peninsula Campaign. (Submitted on August 14, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraWar, US Civil
 
Young’s Mill Markers image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. Young’s Mill Markers
The area around Young's Mill was the site of a Confederate campground in 1861.
Young’s Mill image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
4. Young’s Mill
Young's Mill was the site of fortifications built to protect Richmond from a Union attack. These earthworks were abandoned on April 4, 1862 as the Federals advanced up the Peninsula.
Young’s Mill Mechanism image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
5. Young’s Mill Mechanism
The mill machinery can still be found behind Young's Mill.
Earthworks at Young's Mill image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
6. Earthworks at Young's Mill
These earthworks, located across the street from the mill and marker, formed the Deep Creek anchor of Magruder's first defensive line across the Peninsula.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,041 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 14, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement