Port Deposit in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Erected 1991 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 31° 57.49′ N, 90° 58.982′ W. Marker is in Port Deposit, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is on Church Street (U.S. 61) south of Carroll Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Church Street, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. James Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Temple Gemiluth Chassed (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Guthrie Home (about 400 feet away); Shreve House (about 500 feet away); Englesing Home (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); Port Gibson (about 600 feet away).
Regarding Bruinsburg. By 1865 the town was extinct.
The former town and its landing are now located on private property.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the ghost town Bruinsburg. (Submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 117 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.