Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Houses With A Prospect
The early mansions of wealthy ship owners, merchants and land speculators in this part of Georgetown were built high above the Potomac River with fine views, or prospects, of the harbor filled with ships and the wilds of Virginia on the other side. Streets were narrow and paved with stones. The residences were often self-sufficient with livestock, orchards and kitchen gardens alongside formally designed landscapes.
The beautiful Georgian house behind you was finished in 1789 for the first secretary of the navy, Benjamin Stoddert, who called it Halcyon House. The original house was built to face the river, so the front door could not be seen from the street. The Palladian façade you see was added much later. Its handsome gardens were laid out by Pierre L'Enfant, who planned the city of Washington. After a century of neglect, the house was restored by John Dreyfuss, who in the 1970s embarked on a 17-year effort to bring the house back to its original glory.
Prospect Street is still a popular promenade, linking Georgetown University to the town's commercial streets — Wisconsin Avenue and M Street. On the south side of M at the foot of 34th is Forrest-Marbury House, where George Washington dined in 1791 with Georgetown landholders to secure land for the new District of Columbia. West of the house is a
Fire alarm such as this one (originally painted red) were installed in the District after the Civil War. In most boxes, the alarm was activated by opening a door on the front of the box and pulling a lever. An automatic telegraph system transmitted the box number to a central
with support from
DC Commission on the Arts and humanities, DC Creates Public Art Program
District Department of Transportation
Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development
Citizens Association of Georgetown
Long & Foster, Georgetown
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC.
Location. Marker has been reported damaged. 38° 54.353′ N, 77° 4.078′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Prospect Street Northwest and 34th Street NW, on the left when traveling west on Prospect Street Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3400 Prospect St NW, Washington DC 20007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Halcyon House (a few steps from this marker); 3425 Prospect Street NW (within shouting distance of this marker); Forrest Marbury House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Francis Scott Key Park (about 400 feet away); The Star-Spangled Banner (about 400 feet away); Francis Scott Key (about 400 feet away); Prospect House (about 400 feet away); Francis Scott Key Bridge (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.