Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Commerce Street was a rare diagonal street in Alexandria's first West End, which connected Duke and King Streets at an angle. Further west in Fairfax County, Duke Street changes its name to Little River Turnpike, an early colonial road that originally linked Northern Virginia's vast agricultural lands with Alexandria, also known as "Port City," on the Potomac. Wagons filled with tobacco, wheat, corn and other grains traversed this road on their way to the waterfront warehouses and docks. In 1793, Alexandria ranked as the third largest exporter of wheat and grains in the United States, and by 1797, it had become the 7th largest port in the United States.
The short angled passage
Erected by City of Alexandria.
Location. 38° 48.345′ N, 77° 3.162′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is on King Street (Virginia Route 7) west of South Fayette Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 King Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carver School (within shouting distance of this marker); Capt. James McGuire House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Harris House (about 400 feet away); Alexandria, D.C. (about 500 feet away); L’Ouverture Hospital (about 500 feet away); Freedom House Museum L'Overture Hospital HQ (about 700 feet away); Carver Nursery School / Post 129 (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 31, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 31, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.