Santa Barbara in Santa Barbara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Cold Springs Tavern
In those days sturdy stagecoaches know as "mudwagons" traveled the rugged San Marcos Pass. It was here horses were changed and passengers rested and enjoyed the noon day meal.
In 1900 the Doulton family bought the old tavern with its adjoining 40 acres.
In 1941 they sold it to the Ovington family whose daughter Audrey Ovington owns it to this day.
Erected by Santa Barbara Parlor No. 116 Native Sons of the Golden West, Reina Del Mar Palor No. 126 Native Daughters of the Golden West, and Tierra De Oro Palor No. 204 Native Daughters of the Golden West.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 34° 31.295′ N, 119° 50.419′ W. Marker is in Santa Barbara, California, in Santa Barbara County. Marker is on Stagecoach Road (Interstate 154). Touch for map. This marker is located on a rock next to the restaurant. Marker is at or near this postal address: Stagecoach Road, Santa Barbara CA 93105, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Old Stagecoach Route (approx. 0.3 miles away); Goleta Depot (approx. 5½ miles away); Earle Ovington Terminal (approx. 6.7 miles away); Hope House (approx. 7.2 miles away); Mission Historical Park (approx. 9.2 miles away); Janssens-Orella Adobe House Site (approx. 10.4 miles away); Hill-Carrillo Adobe (approx. 10½ miles away); Old Lobero Theatre (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Barbara.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 22, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 731 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on April 25, 2018, by Darci Tucker of Williamsburg, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 22, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.