El Paso in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Mission and Pueblo in Texas
Corpus Christi de la Ysleta
Don Antonio de Otermin
Fray Francisco Ayeta O.F.M.
for the civilizing and Christianizing
of the Tigua Indians,
Pueblo Revolt refugees
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 1067.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro, and the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 31° 41.493′ N, 106° 19.654′ W. Marker is in El Paso, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Zaragoza Road and Alameda Avenue (State Highway 20) when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located on the northwest corner of the mission grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 131 South Zaragoza Road, El Paso TX 79907, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oldest Mission in Texas (here, next to this marker); Site Of The First Mission In Texas (was here, next to this marker but has been reported missing. ); Alderete-Candelaria House (about 600 feet away, measured in Ysleta Plaza (about 600 feet away); San Antonio de Senecú (approx. 1˝ miles away); Captain Frank Jones (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Camino Real (approx. 2.6 miles away); Socorro (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Paso.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 862 times since then and 35 times this year. Last updated on June 5, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 14, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 6, 7. submitted on May 11, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.