Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Boonsboro in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Boonsboro

Lee's Headquarters

 

—Antietam Campaign 1862 —

 
Boonsboro Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 3, 2007
1. Boonsboro Marker
Inscription. After Gen. Robert E. Lee issued Special Order 191 near Frederick dividing the Army of Northern Virginia into four columns, Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s command marched across South Mountain on September 10, 1862. His column passed through Turner’s Gap and Boonsboro en route to compel the surrender of the Federal garrison at Harpers Ferry. Gen. James Longstreet’s and Gen. D.H. Hill’s columns also passed by here, and Gen. J.E.B. Stuart established his headquarters here temporarily on the evening of September 13. Here Stuart learned of the march of the Army of the Potomac under Gen. George B. McClellan from Frederick toward the eastern side of South Mountain and sent word to Lee near Hagerstown. Lee consulted with Longstreet, who recommended that he and Hill withdraw west of Antietam Creek to Sharpsburg, but Lee decided that the South Mountain gaps must be held to buy time for Jackson's attack at Harpers Ferry. Longstreet later complained, “The hallucination that McClellan was not capable of serious work seemed to pervade our army even to this moment of dreadful threatening.” Lee established his headquarters here on September 14 during the Battle of South Mountain. The next day a rearguard cavalry engagement occurred here, during which some of this Unionist town’s citizens sniped at the Confederates. Part
Civil War Trails and Old National Road Markers in Boonsboro image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 9, 2007
2. Civil War Trails and Old National Road Markers in Boonsboro
of the Union army marched through here on its way to attack Lee’s army, which had withdrawn to a ridge near Sharpsburg after accomplishing its mission at South Mountain.
 
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 39° 30.585′ N, 77° 39.24′ W. Marker is in Boonsboro, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Old National Pike (Alternate U.S. 40) 1.2 miles east of Gilardi Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6524 Old National Pike, Boonsboro MD 21713, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The National Road (here, next to this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (here, next to this marker); Cannon of Revolutionary War (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gravesite of William Boone (approx. ¼ mile away); The Boys from Boonsboro District (approx. ¼ mile away); Washington Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Town of Boonsboro (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stonewall Jackson's Way (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boonsboro.
 
More about this marker. The marker displays a portrait
Gen. J. E. B. Stuart image. Click for full size.
Library of Congress
3. Gen. J. E. B. Stuart
Civil war photographs, 1861-1865, Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division.
of Gen. J.E.B. Stuart and a newspaper drawing showing Boonsboro with Turner’s Gap in the distance.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Boonesborough, Maryland,<br>South Mountain in the Distance <br> Scene of Burnside's Fight image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne
4. Boonesborough, Maryland,
South Mountain in the Distance
Scene of Burnside's Fight
by A. R. Waud, Harper's Weekly, Oct. 25, 1862.
John Murdock House image. Click for full size.
By Susan Brooke Stapleton, August 27, 2018
5. John Murdock House
On September 10, 1862 Thomas Stonewall Jackson and the Black Horse Cavalry arrived at the home of John Murdock by invitation and set up headquarters across the road for the 15,000 troops that arrived later that day. He had arrived after receiving secret orders from General Lee in Frederick. Jackson had dinner with Murdock as he set out to plan his next move. As the Black Horse Cavalry rode into town to check for the union troops they were confronted by a group twice the size of them but the brave Calvary charged them and sent them out of town. Jackson was walking his horse into town when he was abruptly warned to leave as the shoot out began.
I.O.O.F. Hall image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 21, 2007
6. I.O.O.F. Hall
The International Order of Odd Fellows Hall, built by a men's club from the 19th Century, was used as a hospital during the Battles of South Mountain and Antietam. The hall stands at 105 South Main Street.
Disciples of Christ Church image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 21, 2007
7. Disciples of Christ Church
Completed in 1860, the church became a hospital while the Battle of Antietam was fought. The church stands on St. Paul Street, just a block north of Main Street.
National Road image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 21, 2007
8. National Road
South Mountain (Turner's Gap) stands behind the house.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,069 times since then and 125 times this year. Last updated on August 20, 2018, by Susan B Stapleton of Boonsboro, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3, 4. submitted on August 28, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   5. submitted on August 28, 2018.   6, 7, 8. submitted on July 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement