Brightwood in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Seventh Street Turnpike
Battleground to Community
—Brightwood Heritage Trail —
Completed in 1822 as a dirt road connecting the Potomac River to Rockville, Maryland, the Seventh Street Turnpike soon grew deeply rutted. In 1852 it was paved with wood planks to create an eight-foot-wide surface. Although the planks sank in the mud, the road accommodated scores each day. The roads private owners placed a toll booth just north of Emory Church, prompting Brightwood residents to create a free bypass (essentially today's Piney Branch Road). In 1871 the city acquired the turnpike, abolished the toll, changed the name to Seventh Street Road, and paved it with macadam, a layer of crushed rock and cement. In the late 1880s Brightwood citizens arranged to rename the road Brightwood Avenue.
In 1909 residents traded the naming rights to Georgia Senator Augustus Bacon in exchange for his support for community improvements. Bacon was irritated that "Georgia Avenue" in 1900 applied to a few
By the 1930s, as the neighborhood filled with family housing, children enjoyed pony rides on a lot here, and churches held carnivals.
Across the intersection was the latest fad: a miniature golf course.
Erected 2008 by Cultural Heritage DC. (Marker Number 10.)
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 38° 58.053′ N, 77° 1.661′ W. Marker was in Brightwood, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker was on Piney Branch Road near Georgia Avenue. Touch for map. The marker is on the northwest corner of Piney Branch Road at Georgia Avenue in front of the Fort Stevens Building 6400 Piney Branch Road Northwest Washington, DC 20012. Marker was at or near this postal address: 6400 Piney Branch Road, Washington DC 20012, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. What a Beautiful Location, Brightwood (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Automobiling on The Avenue (about 500 feet away); Park and Shop! (about 700 feet away); Battleground National Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker Battleground National Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Lincoln Under Fire at Fort Stevens (approx. ¼ mile away); Roll Call (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Stevens (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brightwood.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Follow the Brightwood Heritage Trail.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 28, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 588 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on September 12, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on April 28, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 11. submitted on November 28, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 12, 13. submitted on September 12, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 14. submitted on April 28, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.