Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Guanajuato in Municipality of Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

Temple of the Company of Jesus

Un Museo Llamado Guanajuato / A Museum Called Guanajuato

 
 
Temple of the Company of Jesus Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 29, 2018
1. Temple of the Company of Jesus Marker
Inscription.  

Templo de la Compañía
Se dice que los mineros trabajaron día y noche para construirlo. El templo de la Compañía de Jesús fue una de las mayores obres jesuíticas de la Nueva España. Los jesuitas instalaron aquí su hospicio en 1732, el templo se comenzó en 1746 y fue terminado en 1765. El proyecto estuvo a cargo del fraile betlemita José de la Cruz. La construcción presenta una única torre, posteriormente el maestro de obras Felipe de Ureña le dio la fachada churrigueresca que luce la parte frontal del templo, con tres puertas y nichos para imágenes de santos jesuitas. Gran parte de su atrio, que fue cementerio, se perdió en el siglo XIX.

El interior, se divide en tres naves. Como en muchas iglesias del Bajío, los ricos retablos barrocos, con el tiempo, fueron sustituidos por altares neoclásicos. Uno de los tesoros que guarda el Templo de la Compañía, es su magnífica colleción de pinturas del siglo XVIII con obras realizadas por pintores como Miguel Cabrera. La cúpula original se derrumbó en 1808 y para que la iglesia continuara en servicio, se optó por levantar muros para separar las partes más dañadas.

Sin
Temple of the Company of Jesus Marker reverse image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 29, 2018
2. Temple of the Company of Jesus Marker reverse
The reverse of this and the other markers in the series in Guanajuato shows a list of the 19 most important sites in the city and a map with the location of the markers and sites.
embargo, los jesuitas fueron expulsados de todos los territorios españoles dos años después de la conclusión del templo, en 1767, - con el consiguiente cierre del Colegio y las escuelas de oficios - , el pueblo minero se levantó, siendo fuertemente reprimido por las autoridades virreinales, cuyo castigo pesó muchos años sobre la ciudad. Este acontecimiento se considera uno de los motivos económicos del levantamiento de independencia del país en 1810.

Para más información visita: www.ciudadmuseo-gto.com

English:
Temple of the Company of Jesus
It is said that the miners worked day and night to complete the building. The church of the Company of Jesus was one of the largest constructions by the Jesuit order in New Spain. The Jesuits first sited a hospice here, in 1732, while building on the church began in 1746 and was completed in 1765.

The project was overseen by the Bethlehemite friar José de la Cruz. The design is centered on a single tower which the master of works Felipe de Ureña subsequently decorated with its present façade in the ornate Churrigueresque style consisting of three doors and a series of niches for Jesuit saints. A large part of the building’s atrium, which served as a cemetery, was lost in the nineteenth century.

Its interior is divided into three naves. Like in many of the churches in the Bajío
Temple of the Company of Jesus and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 29, 2018
3. Temple of the Company of Jesus and Marker
región, over time, its rich baroque altar pieces were replaced with neoclassical altars. One of the treasures the church has maintained is its magnificent collection of eighteenth century paintings consisting of works by artists such as Miguel Cabrera. The original cupola collapsed in 1808 and, in order for the church to continue in operation, it was decided to erect walls to divide off the sections with the most serious damage.

For more information visit: www.ciudadmuseo-gto.com
 
Location. 21° 1.018′ N, 101° 15.165′ W. Marker is in Guanajuato, Guanajuato, in Municipality of Guanajuato. Marker is on Calle Ponciano Aguilar just west of Positos, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Guanajuato 36000, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ponciano Aguilar (a few steps from this marker); Plaza del Baratillo (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Fountain of the Plaza del Baratillo (about 90 meters away); The Basilica of Our Lady of Guanajuato (about 90 meters away); The Basilica of Guanajuato (about 120 meters away); Emma Godoy (about 120 meters away); Benito Juárez in Guanajuato (about 120 meters away); Lucio Marmolejo (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guanajuato.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraMan-Made Features
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 7, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.