Ticonderoga in Essex County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1756 French Saw Mill on La Chute River
General Abercromby used the saw mill as his headquarters during the famous battle between the French and English, July 8, 1758, the day of his disastrous defeat; and the famous old military road, over which his army marched, passed at or near this spot and through the present mill yard.
The hill to the northwest, fortified by the French and Gallent Mill Heights, was again fortified by General Burgoyne in 1777, and called Mount Hope, its present name.
Joseph Dixon Crucible Company
Jersey City, NJ
Erected 1909 by Joseph Dixon Crucible Company.
Location. 43° 51.028′ N, 73° 25.229′ W. Marker is in Ticonderoga, New York, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Tower Avenue and Burgoyne Road / Rogers Street, on the right when traveling Touch for map. Marker is beside the sidewalk at the southeast corner of the intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: 137 Montcalm Street, Ticonderoga NY 12883, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rivière de La Chute (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sharing the Flow (about 500 feet away); Tower Avenue Grindstones (about 500 feet away); Grand Carry Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Way to the World (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hon. Clayton Harris DeLano (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Power of Water (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ticonderoga.
More about this marker. Marker is a large metal plaque, mounted at ground level, on a large monument.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. La Chute Riverwalk, Ticonderoga Bicentennial Park
Also see . . .
1. Ticonderoga’s 1756 French Water-Powered Sawmill. The idea to recreate the 18th century French sawmill that was built in 1756 along the north bank of the La Chute River in Ticonderoga to cut timbers needed for the construction of Fort Carillon, is a concept first discussed in the early 1980’s (Submitted on October 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Battle of Ticonderoga (1759). The Battle of Ticonderoga was a minor confrontation at Fort Carillon (later renamed Fort Ticonderoga) during the French and Indian War. A British military force of more than 11,000 men under the command of General Sir Jeffery Amherst moved artillery to high ground overlooking the fort, which was defended by a garrison of 400 Frenchmen. When his troops landed and began advancing on the fort, Amherst was pleased to learn that the French had abandoned the outer defenses. (Submitted on October 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 26 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.