Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Santa Barbara in Santa Barbara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Cold Springs Tavern

 
 
Cold Springs Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, October 2, 2011
1. Cold Springs Tavern Marker
Inscription. In 1868 this tavern was known as "Cold Springs Relay Station". It was the half-way stop between "Mattei's Tavern" to the north, and Patrick Kinevan's "Summit House" to the south.

In those days sturdy stagecoaches known as "mudwagons" traveled the rugged San Marcos Pass. It was here horses were changed and passengers rested and enjoyed the noon-day meal.

In 1900 the Doulton family bought the old tavern with its adjoining 40 acres.

In 1941 they sold it to the Ovington family whose daughter Audrey Ovington owns it to this day.
 
Erected 1993 by Santa Barbara Parlor No. 116 Native Sons of the Golden West, Reina Del Mar Palor No. 126 Native Daughters of the Golden West, and Tierra De Oro Palor No. 204 Native Daughters of the Golden West.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 34° 31.295′ N, 119° 50.419′ W. Marker is near Santa Barbara, California, in Santa Barbara County. Marker is on Stagecoach Road west of California Route 154, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. This marker is located on a rock next to the restaurant. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5995 Stagecoach Rd, Santa Barbara CA 93105, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Cold Springs Tavern Restaurant Section image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, October 2, 2011
2. Cold Springs Tavern Restaurant Section
The marker mounted on the rock just to the left of the door.
At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Stagecoach Route (approx. 0.3 miles away); Goleta Depot (approx. 5˝ miles away); Earle Ovington Terminal (approx. 6.7 miles away); Hope House (approx. 7.2 miles away); Mission Historical Park (approx. 9.2 miles away); Juana Maria (approx. 9.2 miles away); Janssens-Orella Adobe House Site (approx. 10.4 miles away); Hill-Carrillo Adobe (approx. 10˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Barbara.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. The concrete jail in Ojai that replaced the wooden one now on display behind Cold Springs Tavern.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Cold Springs Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, October 2, 2011
3. Cold Springs Tavern Marker
This is the bar.
Ojai Jail image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, October 2, 2011
4. Ojai Jail
This jail was built by then Ojai Constable Andrew Van Curen in 1873. When the town replaced Van Curen, he wouldn't let them keep the wooden jail. So they replaced it with a concrete bunker built in 1920 that sits in Libby Park in Ojai still. This wooden jail is located at Cold Springs Tavern. It is on display towards the back, off the patio of the restaurant building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 22, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 752 times since then and 48 times this year. Last updated on October 24, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 22, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.