History of the Lewisburg Cemetery Oﬃce
The small, recently preserved, former cemetery office is believed to have been part of the sexton's house that was not in condition to be moved when the house was moved across the street and became part of Bucknell University property.
The cemetery board approved laying out lots and building a house for the sexton on May 14, 1848. They had hired George Roland for $96.00 a year as their first sexton. In December they authorized the building committee to proceed with plans for a house for the sexton and it was completed October 13, the following year as was the front fence. Henry Noll was authorized to purchase shrubbery for the site and he went to Philadelphia to obtain the best. It was noted that vandals dug up the plantings and Mr. Noll asked to offer a reward for their return. There is no account of what actions [were] taken on this matter.
What causes some confusion as to whether the office had been part of the sexton's house or not is that in 1900 the Board authorized $200 for the building of a "Lodge House" for meetings. As to whether the $200 was spent to repair the building or build a new one it [sic] is unclear.
Studies of a picture of the sexton's house and local folk stories lead [sic] you to believe that the small attached building to the far right could to [sic] current recently preserved building. Local resident
Erected by Lewisburg Cemetery Association.
Location. 40° 57.527′ N, 76° 53.184′ W. Marker is in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of 7th Street and St. George Street, on the right when traveling south on 7th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 South 7th Street, Lewisburg PA 17837, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wendle Community Mausoleum (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewisburg Witness Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Rev. George Pomeroy Watrous (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Moore Avenue (about 700 feet away); William Cameron (approx. 0.2 miles away); Reading Railroad Freight Station (approx. ¼ mile away); Robert Lowry (approx. ¼ mile away); Underground Railroad (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewisburg.
Also see . . .
1. Lewisburg Cemetery Association. (Submitted on December 19, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Lewisburg Cemetery at Find A Grave. (Submitted on December 19, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 30 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.