Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Key West in Monroe County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Naval Depot and Storehouse-Building One-U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters

 
 
Naval Depot and Storehouse-Building One-U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, September 18, 2018
1. Naval Depot and Storehouse-Building One-U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters Marker
Inscription.  On September 13, 1833, the United States government purchased this harbor-front lot. The Naval Depot was authorized by an Act of Congress on July 21, 1852. Capt. J.M. Scarritt and Lt. J.J. Philbrick supervised the construction of this building. By 1856 the brick walls were laid in common bond pattern, and the roof was completed in 1861. During the Civil War, the Union’s West Indies Blockade Squadron was headquartered here. Distinguished by a buttressed brick pier arcade of 17 bays, the Naval Depot retains its original lookout cupola, masonry exterior, gable roof, and interior loft space. Known as Building Number One, it served as the Naval Administration Building until 1932. On December 15, 1932, the offices of the 7th Lighthouse District opened in this building. By 1939 the Lighthouse Service, as part of the U.S. Coast Guard, continued to use the Naval Depot as its Key West Station headquarters. In recognition of its significance in America’s military history through the Civil War, Spanish-American War and two world wars, the Naval Depot and Storehouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and remains Key West’s oldest
Naval Depot and Storehouse-Building One-U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters Marker and building image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, September 18, 2018
2. Naval Depot and Storehouse-Building One-U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters Marker and building
brick structure.
 
Erected 2016 by Building One Key West, LLC and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-884.)
 
Location. 24° 33.519′ N, 81° 48.405′ W. Marker is in Key West, Florida, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street and Whitehead Street, on the left when traveling north on Front Street. Marker is located at Clinton Square Market. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 291 Front Street, Key West FL 33040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mallory Homesite (a few steps from this marker); Clinton Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Navy Club of Key West Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Audubon House (within shouting distance of this marker); Naval Station (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old City Hall (about 800 feet away); The Little White House (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named The Little White House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Key West.
 
Categories. ArchitectureWar, US CivilWaterways & Vessels
 

More. Search the internet for Naval Depot and Storehouse-Building One-U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on January 1, 2019, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement