Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bridgetown, Saint Michael, Barbados
 

Saint Matthias Anglican Church

 
 
Saint Matthias Anglican Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 27, 2019
1. Saint Matthias Anglican Church Marker
Inscription.  

Saint Matthias Anglican Church
Barbados National Trust
Building of Historical and Architectural Interest
 
Erected by Barbados National Trust.
 
Location. 13° 4.558′ N, 59° 35.979′ W. Marker is in Bridgetown, Saint Michael. Marker is on St. Matthias Road just south of Balmoral Gap, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bridgetown, Saint Michael BB14038, Barbados. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hastings (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Barbados Independence Monument (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); The Main Guard (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Royal Artillery Barracks (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Engineer’s Office & Quarters (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Monument to Those Lost in the 1831 Hurricane (approx. one kilometer away); Commissariat for the British Commission (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); Commonwealth War Graves (approx. 1.1 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bridgetown.
 
Also see . . .  Saint Matthias Anglican Church history. "In
Saint Matthias Anglican Church image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 27, 2019
2. Saint Matthias Anglican Church
This view of the north face of the church's entrance is towards the south.
1848 when Rev. A. Reece was appointed to St. Matthias, the church had not been completed, but by the end of October the interior was finished and an opening service was held, at which Chaplain of the Forces, Rev. W.W. Jackson, preached. Although construction of St. Matthias was started during Bishop Coleridge's episcopate, because of the failure of the contract and other delays, he had resigned before it was completed. The church was consecrated by Bishop Thomas Parry on August 2, 1850, and the burial ground was closed in 1854 after a yellow fever epidemic.
" (Submitted on June 11, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.) 
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraMan-Made Features
 
Saint Matthias Anglican Church and the Dauntless Monument image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 27, 2019
3. Saint Matthias Anglican Church and the Dauntless Monument
This view of the southern face of the church's entrance also shows the 1852 tomb of 15 officers and the Captain's Steward of the HMS Dauntless. A yellow fever outbreak decimated the crew, many of which were buried at sea or at the nearby Garrison. Unfortunately, the church grounds were closed during this photo and a closer view was not possible.
Saint Matthias Anglican Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 27, 2019
4. Saint Matthias Anglican Church Marker
The marker is to the left of the church's main entrance, visible in this view.
 

More. Search the internet for Saint Matthias Anglican Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 11, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 11, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement