Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
To The Confederate Dead
Here Rest "Till Roll Call"
The Men Of Gettysburg
( West Face )
Tread lightly for each man bequeathed
Ere placed beneath this sod,
His ashes to this native Land
His gallant soul to God.
( East Face )
On Fame's Eternal camping ground,
Their silent tents are spread,
And Glory guards, with silent round
The bivouac of the Dead
( South Face )
Erected 1875 by Ladies Memorial Association of Savannah.
Location. 32° 3.858′ N, 81° 6.537′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker can be reached from West Anderson Street. Touch for map. Laurel Grove Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 802 West Anderson Street, Savannah GA 31415, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sailors' Burial Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away); Florance Street School (approx. ¼ mile away); Charity Hospital and Training School for Nurses (approx. 0.3 miles away); Laurel Grove South Cemetery Saint Phillips Monumental A.M.E. Church (approx. half a mile away); McKelvey-Powell Building (approx. half a mile away); Lawton Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mother Mathilda Beasley, O.S.F. (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Regarding Silence. The sculpture was originally designed as part of a larger Confederate memorial installed in Forsyth Park in Savannah in 1875. The monument was designed by Robert Reid of Montreal, Canada and fabricated by the Montreal Marble Works. The monument was funded by private donations collected by the Ladies Memorial Association of Savannah. Citizens were unhappy with the monument, and in 1878 two of the sculptures,
"Silence" and "Justice", were removed from the monument and replaced with a bronze sculpture of a Confederate soldier. "Silence" was relocated to the Laurel Grove Cemetery to mark the graves of soldiers killed at the battle of Gettysburg. IAS files contain copies of related articles from Savannah Morning News, April 24, 1932 and Savannah News
Press Magazine, April 25, 1971.
Judgement, (sculpture) Located
Description: Standing full-length figure of a woman draped in flowing garments, holding a trumpet in her proper right hand and a scroll in her proper left hand. The figure stands in the middle of Soldier's Circle, a grassy knoll with the remains of twelve Confederate soldiers and Captain John Tripplet, who lies directly in front of the figure.
Also see . . .
1. Siris Entry Silence Sculpture. Inventories of American Painting and Sculpture, Smithsonian American Art Museum,Control Number: IAS GA000716 (Submitted on July 2, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Judgement Sculpture, Siris entry. Inventories of American Painting and Sculpture, Smithsonian American Art Museum,Control Number: IAS GA000071 (Submitted on July 2, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,339 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 2, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 8. submitted on July 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 9. submitted on July 2, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 10. submitted on April 22, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 11. submitted on May 3, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 12, 13, 14. submitted on July 2, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.