Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Aftermath of Ballís Bluﬀ
Bakerís death here and three Union defeats in 1861 resulted in the creation of the Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War. Composed of three senators and four representatives, this committee remained in session throughout the war and gave itself the power to investigate anything or anyone. Its first investigation dealt with Ballís Bluff. Its first victim was General Stone.
Going after Stone more for political reasons than because he had lost a battle, the committee allowed hearsay and complaints by officers whom General Stone had previously disciplined to count as valid testimony. The sessions were closed and Stone himself was questioned without being informed he had become the target of the investigation. Stone was arrested in front of his Washington home near midnight on February 8, 1862.
Stone was imprisoned in New York at Forts Lafayette and Hamilton for six months with no charges ever being filed
He served for several months in the western theater under General Nathaniel P. Banks, and then briefly commanded a brigade in the V Corps of the Army of the Potomac. But typhoid and the attacks on his reputation did their work and he resigned from the army in September of 1864. He later spent over 12 years as Chief of Staff to the Khedive of Egypt and, following his return home early in 1883, became chief engineer on the Statue of Liberty project. Stone died of pneumonia on January 24, 1887, three months after serving as Grand Marshall at the dedication of the Statue of Liberty.
Erected by Ball's Bluff Regional Park/Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Location. 39° 7.825′ N, 77° 31.846′ W. Marker is in Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker can be reached from Ballís Bluff Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located inside Ballís Bluff Regional Park, just off the parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Leesburg VA 20176, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Divided America, A Divided Loudoun County (here, next to this marker); Battle of Balls Bluff (here, next to this marker); Additional Area Civil War Sites The Battle at Ballís Bluff (within shouting distance of this marker); 8th Virginia Infantry (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 8th Virginia Volunteer Infantry Regiment (about 500 feet away); 17th Mississippi Infantry (about 600 feet away); Battlefield Historic Restoration Project (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesburg.
More about this marker. The marker displays a portrait of General Charles P. Stone. A paint“Recovering the body of Colonel Edward D. Baker.” A drawing on the lower right shows Fort Lafayette, New York.
Regarding Aftermath of Ballís Bluff. This marker is one of a set along the Balls Bluff Battlefield walking trail. See the Balls Bluff Virtual Tour by Markers link below for details on each stop.
Also see . . .
1. Joint Committee On The Conduct Of The War. (Submitted on August 29, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Brig. Gen. Charles P. Stone's letter. to the Joint Committee on the (Submitted on August 29, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. Balls Bluff Battlefield Virtual Tour by Marker. Over twenty markers detail the action at Balls Bluff and related sites. Please use the Click to map all markers shown on this page option at the bottom of the page to view a map of the marker locations. The hybrid view offers an excellent overlook of the park. (Submitted on November 11, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,518 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 1, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2, 3. submitted on August 29, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on September 7, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.