Fort Mitchell in Russell County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
<----- 5 miles -----
U.S. Troops stationed here until 1837.
1836 Lower Creeks corralled here for forced removal to the West.
Erected 1954 by Alabama Historical Association.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 32° 20.778′ N, 85° 1.038′ W. Marker is in Fort Mitchell, Alabama, in Russell County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 165. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the Fort Mitchell Historic Landmark Park, about half-mile from the main entrance next to the fort. Marker is at or near this postal address: 561 Highway 165, Fort Mitchell AL 36856, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Mitchell Military Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Crowell (about 600 feet away); Asbury School and Mission (about 600 feet away); James Cantey (about 600 feet away); Archaeology And Our Understanding of the Creek People (approx. ¼ mile away); The Creek Nation / The Chattahoochee Indian Heritage Center Pokkecheta, or the Ball Play (approx. ¼ mile away); Indian Ball Ground (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Mitchell.
Also see . . . Fort Mitchell in the Encyclopedia of Alabama. (Submitted on December 31, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military • Native Americans • War of 1812 • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,385 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 31, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.