Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The corporate limits of the borough of Winchester as defined by its first charter granted in 1752, embraced not only the original site laid out by Colonel Wood but also the large addition thereto laid off by Lord Fairfax, as shown by the survey and plat thereof made by John Baylis of record in Deed Book No. 24 of the county clerk's office.
His residence was at "Greenway Court," near White Post. Then in Frederick County, shortly after the surrender of Cornwallis in October 1781, he died and was buried in the church yard a few feet from the spot where this tablet is erected. About 1827, upon the removal of the Episcopal Church to its present site, his remains were carried there and now rest under the chancel of that church.
Location. Touch for map. Located at the front of the Frederick County Courthouse. Both Loudoun and Rouss streets are closed to vehicle traffic around the courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Winchester VA 22601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel James Wood (here, next to this marker); George Washington's Political Career Began on this Site (a few steps from this marker); Frederick County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Taylor Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); A View of Winchester in 1745 - The Four Public Lots (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob H. Yost Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Battle of Winchester (within shouting distance of this marker); Rouss City Hall Historical Tour (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 967 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3, 4. submitted on September 2, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.