Near McConnellsburg in Fulton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Two Confederate soldiers, killed June 29, 1863, in a skirmish with Union troops, were buried here by local residents. The monument in their honor was erected by Daughters of the Confederacy.
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 39° 55.442′ N, 77° 59.025′ W. Marker is near McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania, in Fulton County. Marker is on Buchanan Trail (Pennsylvania Route 16), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Memorial is about 150 feet north of the intersection of Buchanan Trail and Horton Road (Township Road 505). Marker is at or near this postal address: 547 Buchanan Trail (PA Route 16), Mc Connellsburg PA 17233, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Soldiers (here, next to this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pleasures of Roadside Dining (approx. half a mile away); Changing Main Street (approx. 0.9 miles away); Traveling the Lincoln Highway George Diven (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Changing Main Street (approx. one mile away); Fulton County Civil War, Spanish-American War, and World War I Memorial (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McConnellsburg.
Also see . . . Confederate Dead (McConnellsburg) - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 19, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work • Heroes • Military • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,351 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.