Roscoe in Coshocton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
400 Whitewoman Street North
Built in 1831, this “Old Warehouse” was used to store large quantities of grain, hides, wool and produce. There was a dry goods store on the upper level. Known as the “Mill Store” in the 1830's, this was the natural place for canal travelers to acquire those necessities needed to continue their trip. On a peak day, there would be several canal boats lined up along the canal at the rear of the warehouse to be unloaded. Today the building has been restored to provide the best in dining in an atmosphere reminiscent of the old canal days.
Erected by Roscoe Village Foundation.
Location. 40° 16.759′ N, 81° 52.573′ W. Marker is in Roscoe, Ohio, in Coshocton County. Marker is on Whitewoman Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 N. Whitewoman Street, Coshocton OH 43812, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jacob Welsh House - c.1840 (a few steps from this marker); George LeRetilley House - 1853 Daniel Carroll House - c.1850 (within shouting distance of this marker); William Roscoe Building - 1840 (within shouting distance of this marker); James LeRetilley Building - 1847 (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Maro Johnson's Office - 1842 (within shouting distance of this marker); Hay Craft and Learning Center - 1987 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Maro Johnson's House - c.1833 (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Roscoe.
Also see . . . Roscoe Village Foundation. (Submitted on February 11, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Additional keywords. Ohio and Erie Canal
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 11, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 571 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 11, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.