Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Lot 70 Is Historically Signiﬁcant
In 1718, this lot was owned by Charles Carroll, grandfather of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, who in 1734 leased the land to Phillip Syng, the renowned colonial metalsmith. Syng practised his trade here until 1759. During the 1760’s, the lot was sold to Allen Quynn who was a member of the House of Delegates and Mayor of Annapolis. By 1770, the lot had been subdivided and the second house was built adjacent to the Syng-Quynn establishment. In 1778, this second house was sold to Dr. Reverdy Ghislein. Upon the doctor’s death in 1784, his widow began the operation of a boarding house on this site. The Ghislein family was the host to many travellers to Annapolis, including Thomas Jefferson and James Monroe, delegates from Virginia to the Continental Congress that convened in Annapolis from December 1783 through August 1784.
For further information on the archeological excavation, please contact Historic Annapolis, Inc., King and Cornwall, or the City of Annapolis. This archeological dig is funded by grants and contributions from Historic Annapolis, Inc., King and Cornwall, Inc., and the City of Annapolis
Location. 38° 58.708′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reynold's Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); A Community Legacy (within shouting distance of this marker); Congress Was Here (within shouting distance of this marker); The City Spared (within shouting distance of this marker); The Claude House (within shouting distance of this marker); Southgate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Maryland Inn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); White Oak (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,387 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 9, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 26, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.