Salado in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Major Archibald Johnson Rose
1830 - 1903
In 1870 Rose moved to Salado. At this site he built a two-story home where his 11 children grew up. A successful and progressive farmer, Rose sought ways to improve farming methods. When the first local Grange in Texas began in Salado in 1873, he joined the farmers' group. Later that year he helped organize the statewide Grange which became a strong legislative lobby for land and tax laws protecting farmers and for improved schools. As Worthy Master of the Grange, Rose led in beginning cooperatives, textile mills, and a fire insurance company.
An advocate for better schools and teachers, Rose served on local school boards, as a trustee of Salado College, and present Mary Hardin-Baylor College in Belton. He was appointed to the Board of Directors at Texas A&M University in 1887 and served as president of the board. He was buried in Salado Cemetery.
Erected 1979 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number
Location. 30° 56.434′ N, 97° 31.786′ W. Marker is in Salado, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is on Rose Way Circle, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salado TX 76571, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Major A.J. Rose House (here, next to this marker); Salado United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Washington Baines House (approx. ¼ mile away); Hermon and Margaret L. Aiken (approx. ¼ mile away); Dr. Welborn Barton and Louisa Adeline Barton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Capt. Milton Wesley Damron (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Rev. James E. and Fannie F. Ferguson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Robert Bonner Halley (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salado.
Categories. • Agriculture • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Persons • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 30, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,025 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 30, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and surrounding area in context. • Can you help?